Upcoming period c-drama: Legend of Mi Yue starring Sun Li & Liu Tao
[Update: Legend of Mi Yue is currently airing. So far, there are no English subs for the drama.]
After the hit period c-drama (and my personal favorite) The Legend of Zhen Huan, everyone was left wondering whether any other period c-drama could reach the heights that LZH did. Now the same team that brought us LZH is back with another period c-drama, Legend of Mi Yue (Mi Yue Zhuan). Not only that, but it’s also starring Sun Li as the leading lady!
- Episode count: 80
- Genre: period, costume, politics, novel adaptation
- Cast: Sun Li, Liu Tao, Ma Su, Gao Yunxiang, Alex Fong, Jiang Xin, Lan Xi
- Director: Zheng Xiaolong
- Producer: Cao Ping
- Screenwriter: Wang Xiaoping
“The drama details the legendary life of Mi Ba Zi, a young girl who lived in Chu during the Warring States period. She was sent to Qin as a concubine and part of her sister Mi Shu’s dowry, separating her from first love Huang Xie. Ying Si passes away while his sons are still battling for the throne, and ultimately, Ying Dang comes out as the successor. Mi Yue is banished to Yan with her son. However, Ying Dang suddenly dies, leaving Qin in a state of chaos. Mi Yue enlists the help of Yi Qu of Xiongnu’s army, successfully returning to Qin, suppressing political revolts and instates her son Ying Ji on the throne. Thus, Mi Yue became the first Empress Dowager in China’s history.”
^Jiang Xin as Concubine Ju/ Liu Tao as Queen of Qin / Sun Li as Mi Yue (doesn’t the promo poster look a lot like The Virtuous Queen of Han?)
Characters & Cast
- Sun Li as Mi Yue, Empress Xuan–The heroine of the story. She enters the Qin harem as a concubine, alongside her sister who enters the harem as the queen. Mi Yue rises in status when the king starts to favor her; however, this results in a tense rivalry with her sister and the rest of the harem.
- Liu Tao as Mi Shu, Queen of Qin–Mi Yue’s sister and the queen of Qin.
- Alex Fong as Emperor Ying Si–Marries Mi Shu.
- Ma Su as Wei Yan–An antagonist in the harem.
- Huang Xuan as Huang Xie–Mi Yue’s first love.
- Gao Yun Xiang as Yi Qu Gao–From the Xiongnu army. Becomes Mi Yue’s ally and possibly her lover.
- Jiang Xin & Lan Xi–Both Jiang Xin and Lan Xi, who collaborated with Sun Li in LZH, play minor supporting characters in MYZ.
First of all, obviously I’m really happy about the casting. I have full confidence in Sun Li’s ability to play the leading role. As for whether this drama will live up to LZH standards…I doubt it. I’ve given up on expecting another c-drama that will fill the void that LZH left behind. Yes, Legend of Mi Yue has a great cast, but sometimes even a great cast can’t save a drama if the script isn’t good. So IMO it all depends on whether the story itself is interesting enough. One obvious disparity between the two dramas so far is that the costumes in Legend of Mi Yue don’t hold a candle to the ones in LZH! I’m not at all a fan of those super feathery costumes.
Of course, comparisons between LZH and Legend of Mi Yue will be made. After all, both dramas are about a woman who becomes empress/empress dowager. According to Sun Li though, Zhen Huan and Mi Yue are two very different characters. She’s taking care to differentiate between the two in her performance and in the script.
*Update: Liu Tao’s role in Nirvana in Fire was a hit. I bet there are a lot of new Liu Tao fans who will be looking forward to seeing her in Legend of Mi Yue!